The search for a man who went missing from a North Sea drilling rig has been scaled back this evening. 

The 49 year old man had been working on the Noble Lloyd Noble installation, in the Mariner Field, approximately 90 miles (150km) east of Shetland.

The alarm was raised at around 21:20 on Tuesday evening after a search of the rig failed to locate him.

A Coastguard search and rescue helicopter was called out but later returned to base.
Two standby vessels and a platform supply vessel were continuing to search.

The man is believed to be from the Aberdeen area. Next of kin have been informed and Police Scotland have said that a team of officers have been flown to the installation to assit and carry out inquiries.

Det Insp Norman Stevenson, who is leading the team, said: “An extensive search has been carried out which has involved a search and rescue helicopter as well as standby vessels and a platform supply vessel.
“The next of kin of the man have been informed of the ongoing inquiries and further information will be made available to the public when we have it. There are no apparent suspicious circumstances.”

In a statement, Noble Drilling said they had mobilised emergency response teams in Aberdeen and Stavanger to support the search effort.

The company said: “Statoil vessels have been involved in an extensive search of the water surrounding the rig and together we will continue to do everything we can to support the ongoing search effort.

“Our priorities are the safety of all the personnel on board, assisting in the search operation for the missing person and supporting next of kin and colleagues of the missing person.
“All operations have been stood down on the rig.”